Let’s Talk About Dental Veneers: How Can They Help?Bluetooth Dental
Dental veneers are a popular type of cosmetic dental treatment; they are a solution for a quick and semi-permanent fix for your smile. They can fix a single tooth or a set of teeth, transforming your smile to give you the confidence to go and live your life! Veneers come in a variety of types, and the form of veneer treatment you need can be recommended by a dentist during a consultation.
What Are Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer is a very thin piece of ceramic that is attached to the front of your tooth to cover minor imperfections. Veneers are often made from porcelain or resin-compositive materials.
The fitting process usually involves the removal of a tiny amount of enamel to ensure that they sit securely to the natural tooth. Since veneers match the shape and shade of your teeth, they will look as natural as possible. The results can help people with:
- Chipped teeth
- Serious discolouration
- Gaps in teeth
- Smaller than average teeth
- Unusually shaped teeth, e.g., pointed teeth
What Are The Main Reasons For Getting Veneers?
- Chipped teeth – Having chipped teeth can increase the risk of you cutting the soft tissue inside your mouth. A veneer can cover the chipped tooth completely.
- Teeth crowding or mal-alignment – Although orthodontic treatments are recommended to fix misaligned or crowded teeth, veneers are a time-efficient solution.
- Stained teeth – Veneers can cover severe staining instead of having whitening procedures.
The Veneer Treatment Process
Your dentist will talk about your goals and expectations of what you wish to achieve with veneers. We will perform an analysis of your teeth including X-rays, photos, and videos to help us with designing your new smile. This assessment also allows our dentist to see if you have any signs of tooth decay or gum disease, and in which case, you may not be a good candidate for veneers.
The Test Run
Before the real treatment, we recommend trying a temporary set of veneers. The purpose of the test run is so that you gain an understanding of the size, shape, and colour of the new teeth, and whether you want to make any changes. Following this, the practice teeth will be approved then you will be prepared to have your veneers placed.
To have teeth that fit perfectly in your mouth, we will need to grind the natural set into a new shape so that we can place the veneer in front of it. Therefore, the original tooth remains but it has a new appearance from the front.
Blue Tooth Dental’s Care Tips For Veneers
With the right care and protection, veneers can last up to 10 years. Here are some handy tips to maintain the longevity of veneers:
- Avoid chewing on hard objects including fingernails or pens
- Do not use your teeth to open packaging
- Consider using a mouthguard when engaging in physical activity and sports
- If you grind or clench your teeth during sleep, you may need a splint or retainer to preserve your veneers
If you are considering dental veneers, book an appointment with the expert Blue Tooth Dental team. We can discuss with you the best treatment for your chipped or stained teeth, simply call us today on (02) 9519 2691!